- 1.1 The International Film Festival & Awards • Macao (the “Festival”) is an event jointly organised by the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) and the Macau Films & Television Productions and Culture Association (MFTPA), being managed by MFTPA.
- 1.2 The aim of the Festival is to raise awareness and develop an audience for cinema from the region and the rest of the world, promoting the films as both artform and entertainment. In addition to all the sections mentioned in the following paragraphs, the Festival may include retrospectives and tributes to major figures in the film industry as a contribution towards raising awareness of the history of cinema.
- 1.3 The following is an explanation of the rules and regulations (“Rules and Regulations”) which govern the submission and selection of a film for the Festival.
- 2.1 The Official Selection is the main event of the Festival which is comprised of the following sections. These sections may vary from year to year and are subject to change at any time at the absolute discretion of the Festival:
- 2.2 Competition An international competition comprising a maximum of 12 feature films, which should not be shown in another Asian film festival nor released in other Asian territories (with exception of the main home territory of the film).
- 2.3 Out of Competition / Gala More mainstream crowd pleasing films shall be presented in the Out of Competition / Gala section, comprising a maximum of 6 films.
- 2.4 New Chinese CinemaA showcase of four to six films representing our programming team’s choice of the best of Chinese language cinema first screened in 2018.
- 2.5 Flying Daggers A non-competitive selection of International genre films.
- 2.6 Best of Fest Panorama A non-competitive selection of films from other major international film festivals of the year.
- 2.7 Director’s Choice (Retrospective) A non-competitive selection of six classic films, selected by six well-known directors, being three films from Asia selected by non-Asian directors and three films from the rest of the world selected by Asian directors.
- 2.8 In Focus (Retrospective) A celebration of one or two specific outstanding talents to be invited among director, actors, actresses, writers, directors of photography, production designers, composers, producers, composers, editors, etc. with screenings of their films and on-stage interviews.
- 2.9 Special Presentations Screenings of films at the discretion of the Artistic director and jury president related to special guest attendance and lifetime achievement honorees.
- 2.10 For All The Family A small collection of one to three films from all over the world selected in order to appeal to a wide family audience.
- 3.1 Submission Eligibility
- 3.1.1 A film may be entered for selection by its producer, distributor or a representative thereof (an “Entrant”).
- 3.1.2 In order to be eligible for selection, the Entrant must, by no later than 1st August 2018 (the “Deadline”):
a) fill out the selection entry form, exclusively via the Festival’s official website atwww.iffamacao.com;
b) pay the submission fee (in accordance with paragraph 3.2); and
c) send a copy of the film to the address set out in paragraph 3.4.1.
- 3.1.3 The films selected for inclusion in the Festival shall be placed, at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival, in one of the sections of the Official Selection. Entrants may not submit their films directly into any specific section.
3.1.4 Only films that meet the following conditions may be submitted for consideration in the Official Selection:
a) The film shall have a running time of more than 60 minutes; and
b) Except for films under “Director’s Choice (Retrospective)” and “In Focus (Retrospective)” sections, the film shall have not been screened to a public audience before Jan 1, 2018.
- 3.1.5 Unless the original language of the film is English, the film must have English or Chinese subtitles for all other languages and/or Chinese languages/dialects.
- 3.1.6 If a film involves international co-productions, the main location of production shall be considered as the place of origin of the film.
- 3.1.7 For the avoidance of doubt, the Festival reserves its sole and absolute right to make any exceptions to the eligibility conditions being its decision final and conclusive.
- 3.2 Submission Fee
For each film submitted for consideration, a non-refundable submission fee of US$50.00 shalll be charged per feature length film to cover administrative costs.
- 3.3 Submission Format
3.3.1 Irrespective of the shooting format of the film, only the following shall be accepted for film submissions:
a) DCP (Digital Cinema Package);
b) Blu-ray disc + 1 standard DVD (if a Blu-ray disc is submitted, the Entrant must also submit a standard DVD of the film) (region free / all regions);
c) DVD (Standard) (region free / all regions); or
d) Secure online screening links or file.
- 3.3.2 Only one version of the film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, only the version that was received first shall be reviewed.
- 3.3.3 Entrants may submit a working version of a film. When filling out the entry form, an Entrant shall state whether its submission is the final version or a working version. The submission of a working version precludes the subsequent submission of a final version.
- 3.3.4 Entrants shall test their submissions thoroughly before submitting them. If the submission cannot be viewed, the Festival may attempt but has no obligation to contact the relevant Entrant in order to obtain a new submission.
- 3.4 Submission and Returns
- 3.4.1 DCP, DVD or Blu-ray disc to be submitted must be sent by post directly to the “Film Submissions” at the Festival’s office address at Alameda Dr. Carlos D'Assumpção, Centro Comercial Cheng Feng, 336-342, 8.º Andar I, Macau.
- 3.4.2 If a copy is sent through an express parcel service, the Entrant’s package should read “For cultural purposes only” and “No commercial value”. Payment for delivery must be made in full, including any duty and taxes. Otherwise, the Festival reserves the right not to accept the parcel.
- 3.4.3 Any other information regarding the film submitted for selection must be sent exclusively in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 3.4.4 The Festival is under no obligation to contact the Entrant and/or to refund the submission fee should the Entrant not have adhered to any provision stated herein.
- 3.4.5 The return of the transport costs for submitted DCPs are borne by the Entrant or by the return consignee for the print. The total invoice for the return transport must be paid for the Festival to release the print once the Festival has finished screening it.
- 3.4.6 The Festival is under no obligation to return any film submitted for selection, unless such film arrives with prepaid return packaging via express carrier (courier or diplomatic bag). Any returns must be requested no later than November 2018.
- 3.4.7 Any submission made contrary to the rules provided herein may be disqualified or rejected at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival.
- 3.5 Authorisation
- 3.5.1 Each Entrant warrants that it owns and/or controls the entire copyright of the film and/or has the absolute right to authorise the public screening of the film it submits in accordance with the present Rules and Regulations.
- 3.5.2 Each Entrant hereby authorises and permits the Festival to screen the film it submits in public during the entire period of the Festival.
- 3.5.3 Each Entrant hereby authorises and permits the Festival to make use of all publicity materials and stills of the film it submits in accordance with the present Rules and Regulations including, without limitation, for publicity and promotional purposes of the Festival.
- 4.1 It is the sole responsibility of the Entrant to secure all authorisations, permissions, and licences from the copyright or trademark owner(s) of any and all copyrighted or trademarked contents or materials included within the submitted film. The Festival expressly disclaims any responsibility and shall not be held responsible for any unauthorised inclusion of any copyrighted and trademarked contents or materials within or relating to the submitted film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims for copyright or trademark infringements, trademark dilution or unfair competition. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees previously collected from the Entrant, any film with any unauthorised inclusion of copyrighted or trademarked contents or materials. In the event that any claim, dispute, action or proceeding shall be brought or asserted by any person or entity that alleges that the Entrant’s submitted film makes unauthorised or unlawful use of any copyrighted or trademarked content or material, the Entrant shall fully indemnify and defend the Festival, and each of its representatives or affiliates from any liability in connection therewith and from any fees and expense, including but not limited to legal fees, that may incur in connection therewith.
- 4.2 It is the sole responsibility of the Entrant to keep all content of the submitted film safe from any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including, without limitation, claims based upon theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, theft of trade secrets, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationship, and breach of express or implied contract (“Third Party Claim(s)”). The Festival expressly disclaims any responsibility and shall not be held responsible for any unauthorised inclusion of any content or materials within or relating to the submitted film that are or may be the basis for any Third Party Claims based upon any of the foregoing grounds or others. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees previously collected from the Entrant, any submitted film that is or may become the subject of any Third Party Claims. In the event that any Third Party Claim(s) shall be asserted by any person or entity, the Entrant shall fully indemnify and defend the Festival, and each of its representatives and affiliates from any liability in connection therewith and from any and all fees and expenses, including but not limited to legal fees, that each of any of them may incur in connection therewith.
- 4.3 SELECTION
- 4.3.1 The Artistic Director shall consider for inclusion in the Festival all eligible films that have been submitted before the deadline and in accordance with the provisions herein. Notwithstanding the aforesaid, the Artistic Director shall not be obliged to select any of the films submitted through the process provided herein for inclusion in the Festival.
- 4.3.2 The Artistic Director shall be assisted by a team of international consultants in the selection of the films submitted. The Artistic Director, upon hearing the opinion of the team of international consultants, shall decide in which section of the Official Selection a film can participate.
- 4.3.3 All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of the Artistic Director and shall be final and conclusive. The Artistic Director shall not be required to provide any feedback, comments or reasons, or any other information regarding the selection or non-selection of any submitted film or the process by which the films are or have been selected.
4 Intellectual Property, Third Party Claims and Indemnification
- 5.1 Notification of Selection
The Festival shall issue a written invitation by 20th October 2018 to all Entrants whose films have been selected to participate in the Festival (such Entrant shall each be referred to as a “Selected Entrant” and each of their submitted films a “Selected Film”). Entrants who have not been selected to participate in the Festival shall also be notified in writing by 31st October 2018. All written notifications or invitations shall use the contact information provided by the Entrants in their submitted entry forms. Entrants shall be responsible for providing correct and functional contact information and the Festival shall not be responsible for any failed attempts to contact an Entrant using the contact information provided.
- 5.2 Selected Films
- 5.2.1 Each Selected Film shall receive a certificate of participation.
5.2.2 Each Selected Entrant shall receive an official entry form to be duly completed and returned no later than 31st October 2018. Receipt of this duly completed form by the Festival shall be deemed the legal acceptance of the written invitation and all provisions therein by the Selected Entrant shall be considered as definitive and irrevocable.
- 5.2.3 Upon acceptance of the invitation pursuant to Clause 5.2.2, the Selected Entrant shall undertake to maintain the Selected Film’s eligibility conditions pursuant to Clause 3.1 until the end of the Festival, including but not limited to not presenting or screening the Selected Film in any festival or international motion picture event. Failure to comply may result in the Selected Film’s exclusion from the Festival at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival.
- 5.3 Festival Programme
- 5.3.1 The invitation of a Selected Film to participate in the Festival must at all times remain confidential until the announcement of the programme by the Festival is made. Failure to comply may result in the Selected Film’s exclusion from the Festival at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival.
5.3.2 The scheduling and screening times of the Selected Films are at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival.
- 5.3.3 The costs of screenings of the Selected Film taking place outside of the official Festival schedule shall be borne by the Entrants.
- 5.4 Film Copies
5.4.1 Each Selected Entrant must send the following to the Festival no later than 31st October 2018:
a) Two copies of the original version of the Selected Film with English and Chinese subtitles (English subtitles for Chinese-language films) for the official presentation and Press and Industry screenings;
b) One Blu-ray disc of the original version of the Selected Film with English and Chinese subtitles for exclusive internal use (electronic subtitles and simultaneous translation) by the Festival; and
c) English and Chinese subtitle lists – all subtitling costs of the Selected Films are to be paid by the Selected Entrants.
- 5.4.2 In any event, if the copies of a Selected Film are not delivered to the Festival by 15th November 2018, the screening of such Selected Film may be cancelled at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival and without further notice to the Selected Entrant of such Selected Film.
- 5.4.3 The Festival reserves the right to refuse any copy of a Selected Film which, on advice of the Festival’s technicians or at the sole and absolute discretion of the Festival, is considered to be of inadequate quality for public screening.
- 5.5 Screening Formats
- 5.5.1 Selected Films shall only be admitted in the following screening formats: 35mm or Digital Cinema Package (DCP).
5.5.2 Digital Cinema Copy: Once the Selected Entrant’s submission of copies of the Selected Film is complete, the Selected Entrant may contact the “Festival Print Traffic Department” in accordance with Clause 8.2 for the server certificate and details on how to send the KDM (the Key Delivery Message).
- 5.6 Material for Festival Catalogue
All necessary material for the Festival catalogue (including synopsis; cast and credit; biography and complete filmography of the director; director’s statement; photos of the director and cast; stills of key scenes from the film in b/w and colour) must be sent to the Festival via email at: email@example.com as soon as possible, and in any event no later than 31st October 2018.
- 5.7 Press Material
- 5.7.1 Selected Entrants participating in the Festival are encouraged to send their press material separately, no later than 15th November 2018, for distribution to the press / media and potential buyers. Approximately 1,000 press packages shall be necessary for each Selected Film.
5.7.2 Selected Films shall also be requested to send digital images of the film and the director, video material and audio clips. The publicity and promotional material for the Selected Film must state “The 3rd International Film Festival & Awards•Macao”, and, where applicable, the relevant section in the Official Selection.
6.1 An international jury (the “Jury”) comprising 5 to 7 personalities from the world of cinema and culture from various countries shall be formed to deliberate on the Selected Films in competition for the purpose of awarding the following prizes:
• Best Film (which shall receive a cash prize of US$60,000)
• Best Director
• Jury Prize
• Best Actor Award
• Best Actress Award
• Award for Best New Young Actor or Actress
• Award for Best Screenplay
• Award for Best Technical Contribution
- 6.2 The jury shall be encouraged not to give prizes to joint winners nor give multiple awards to one film, but the final decisions shall rest with the jury.
- 6.3 The Artistic Director, if requested by the Jury, may attend the meetings to advise on matters of regulations or procedures.
- 6.4 No person having taken part in the production or exploitation of a Selected Film in competition can be on the Jury.
- 6.5 The Artistic Director shall recommend the nominations for the awarding of an award for Career Achievement to the Organising Committee of the Festival.
- 6.6 Each Selected Entrant undertakes to display or to procure the display of a mention of any prize received at the Festival and the Festival logo at the beginning of the Selected Film when such Selected Film is released in all media, formats and platforms.
7.1 Notwithstanding Clause 5.7.2, each Selected Entrant undertakes that all forms of promotional activity in respect of their Selected Film shall, after the official presentation of the Selected Film by the Festival, include a mention of the Selected Film’s participation in the 3rd International Film Festival & Awards•Macao and the Festival logo as supplied by the Festival.
7.2 Selected Films that have been awarded a prize at the Festival must also state in all forms of promotional activity which award it has won, in accordance with the official graphic designs predetermined and supplied by the Festival.
- 8.1 The Festival organisers reserve the right to invite special guests, including film directors, producers and actors, film professionals to participate in the Festival in relation to the promotion of the screenings, masterclass, workshops, press conferences, red carpet, and all other events related to the IFFAM.
- 8.2 Guests attending the Festival are required to provide one photo, suitable for an ID badge, and an additional photo to be published in our Festival catalogue. Guests are also expected to attend the official events as per requested by the IFFAM.
- 8.3 All participants acknowledge IFFAM and the media partners’ right to cover the IFFAM, broadcast the event on television and radio channels and thus make use of the gathered material as they see fit.
- 9.1 Shipping Costs
- Any and all shipping costs to and from the Festival in relation to the films submitted by the Entrants must be borne by the respective Entrants.
- 9.2 Addresses
- In case of 35mm films and DCPs, the Entrants shall contact the “Festival Print Traffic Department” beforehand for instructions regarding shipment (email address: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- 9.3 Shipping of Promotional Material
- All costs related to the transport of publicity, promotional and photographic material from the place of origin to the Festival’s office must be borne by the Entrants.
- 9.4 Shipping Insurance
All insurance costs covering the transport of films and press material to and from the Festival must be borne by the Entrants.
9.5 Insurance at the Festival
- The 3rd International Film Festival & Awards• Macao provides “fully-comprehensive risk” insurance coverage for the entire period during which the copies of the films submitted are in the care of the Festival. The insurance value of each submitted film may not exceed the average laboratory costs for a standard copy.
- 10.1 Donation to the Archives
- Selected Entrants are invited to donate a copy of their Selected Film presented at the Festival to the archives of the International Film Festival & Awards• Macao (the “Archives”).
- 10.2 Conservation of works
- To protect the interests of the film-makers and the producers, copies of Selected Films shall be kept at the Archives for the sole purpose of documentation and research and shall not be used for any commercial purposes.
- 11.1 By making a film submission as prescribed hereunder, the Entrant acknowledges that it has read and understands, and hereby agrees to, the Rules and Regulations.
- 11.2 The Festival reserves the right to make any changes to the Rules and Regulations without notice to the Entrants.
- 11.3 In the event of any dispute arising regarding the interpretation of any provision herein, the original English version shall be binding.
- 11.4 The Festival reserves the right to adjudicate any cases not circumscribed by the provisions herein and may make exceptions to the Rules and Regulations in justified, well-motivated cases.
- 11.5 In situations not contemplated by these Rules and Regulations, the final decision shall be made by Festival and shall not be challenged by any one.
6 SELECTED FILMS IN COMPETITION
7 OFFICIAL LOGO
9 SHIPPING AND INSURANCE
10 COPIES FOR THE FESTIVAL ARCHIVES
11 GENERAL RULES